Takin’ the Heat explores the reasons three Southern superintendents are holding out on converting their greens to bermudagrass.
Here’s what Wade Thomas, Anthony Williams and Andy Huber like about bentgrass putting greens.
- They believe it’s the best putting surface.
- They say players believe it’s “a treat” to play on bentgrass greens in the South.
- Bentgrass greens don’t have to be shut down for verticutting and topdressing during peak times of play.
- Bentgrass needs less sun than bermudagrass.
- Despite the results of a survey, they believe that bentgrass offers more playable days than bermudagrass.